CHURCH HISTORY AND MILESTONE
1825 -1841 Perrinsville church served by ministers of Ohio Conference which included Ohio and Michigan; later served by ministers of separate Michigan Conference. In 1834 Rev. Swift had a 10 point circuit.
1841 – Most members went to Wesleyan Methodist Church because it stood for firm opposition to slavery. They worshiped in district school
1847 – First church was erected and dedicated.
1863 – After President Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation members returned to the leadership of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The
property was assigned to the M.E. Church.
1895 – A new church dedicated August 10, 1895. The Perrinsville M. E. Church was located on Perrin Road, one block east of Merriman Road
and three blocks south of Ann Arbor Trail.
1896 – 1935 The Perrinsville Church was part of various circuits through the years with Wayne, Inkster, Newburg or Novi.
1936 – Perrinsville Church was left without a minister. Services discontinued. Ten members made plans to move the church to Garden City. A
loan was secured from Board of Homes Missions. A basement and foundation were prepared on the site of six lots donated to the church
at the corner of Chester street and Merriman Road.
1942 – The Garden City Church was ready for a full time Pastor. Work began on new parsonage.
1943 – New parsonage completed. All work except hot water system completed by members of the church.
1945 – 1946 Improvements on church. New oil furnace, added restrooms, remodeled kitchen, increased seating capacity and redecorated
1946 – Indebtedness on parsonage cleared. Additional ground secured on Maplewood and on Chester Street. Plans drawn up by Mr. Harold
Pine, local architect, for our new church.
1952 – All improvement debts paid and substantial building fund had been accumulated. Ground broken for new basement. A new
Connsonata electric organ was purchased.
1954 - Basement completed. All work was done by volunteer cooperation of members and friends of the church. 4,500 man hours and
contributions of $17,000 made possible this remarkable achievement.
1956 - New plans for church drawn by Mr. Errol Clark, architect of Detroit. Building Fund crusade led by Rev. Leon Blackman of Finance
Department, Division of Natural Missions of the United Methodist Church. Pledges of over $70,000 were raised, to be paid over a three
1958 – In March the White frame church was torn down. Work began on new church. In May Bishop Reed laid the cornerstone for the new
church. The new church was completed in December at a cost of $138,000.
1964 – Congregation invited to visit the new parsonage located at 31515 Windsor St. Approximate cost of $23,000. In October the first unit of
the Educational Building construction $109,000.
1967 - In October, the Special Quarterly Conference authorized purchase of additional parking facilities on Chester St. at an approximate cost
1968 – Became First United Methodist Church in a merger of the Methodist and the Evangelical United Brethren Churches. Sanctuary and
office carpet installed.
1973 – Parking lot paved.
1976 – Chester St and Merriman Road properties sold.
1977 – In November, installation of pipe organ began.
1978 – Pipe organ dedicated on September 24.
1979 – Mortgage burning on October 14.
1980 – Dedication of hand bells on March 30.
1981 – Dedication of third octave hand bells.
There are many additional milestones that we have seen and there will be many more to come.